- You are here:
- City Government
- Department of Public Works
- Community Cleanup Days
Community Cleanup Day
The Annual Community Clean Up will be held Saturday, May 6th at the Department of Public Works compound. This year’s Clean Up will again be a joint effort between the City of Portland, Portland Township and Danby Township! Hours will be from 7 a.m. to Noon.
What We Accept
Any type of junk or trash that can legally be placed in a landfill will be accepted.
We can not accept the following items
- Lead acid batteries
- Yard trimmings
- Hazardous waste
- Radioactive materials
- Barrels or drums which are not empty and crushed
- Compressed gas cylinders which are not empty and disabled
- Appliances containing Freon (unless a valid reclamation sticker is attached). To keep our environment clean do not cut the Freon lines on appliances, they will not be accepted without a sticker.
- Any container with a hazardous waste label, ignitable, corrosive, reactive or toxic materials, medical wastes (unless sterilized and labeled), and asbestos wastes unless double wrapped, labeled and manifested will not be accepted.
We will also be separating recyclable items such as tin, steel, aluminum, etc. We will have dumpsters on site for these items, so please keep this in mind when loading your truck or trailer.
You must be a resident of the City of Portland, Danby Township, or Portland Township to participate in the Community Clean Up.
You will be asked to furnish a picture I.D. by the Department of Public Works attendant before being allowed to unload your truck or trailer.
Each household will be limited to ONE TRUCK/PICK UP TRUCK LOAD in order to ensure that everyone has an opportunity to participate.
Please take advantage of this free opportunity to clean up your property, garage and home. If everyone does a little bit, we can all make a big difference in improving the appearance of our community.
Call Ken at phone 517-647-6129 from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday - Friday with any questions.
Hazardous Wastes will be collected for disposal on Saturday, May 6th from 8:00 AM to Noon at the DPW 451 Morse Drive Portland MI