Board of Light & Power
Normal Business Hours (Monday through Friday from 7 am to 3:30 pm)
- Call the Electric Department at 517-647-6912
- Call City Hall at 517-647-3205
If you need assistance regarding a power outage after normal business hours please call Ionia County Central Dispatch at 616-527-0400.
- To discontinue service phone 517-647-3205
- What is Public Power
- Public Power General Statistics (PDF)
- City of Portland – Board of Light and Power - Annual Reports
For rate information, please phone 517-647-3211
Utility Rules and Regulations
Energy Smart Program
Renewable Energy and Net Metering
- Elective Renewable Program Registration
- Net Metering
The Electric Department was established in 1896 to provide electricity to the Village of Portland. Its function is to provide low cost electricity to Portland and Portland Township safely and reliably. It operates and maintains a Diesel Generator Plant, Hydro Plant, sub-stations and overhead / underground power lines, plus all trucks and equipment to accomplish this. It helps attract residential homes / business / industry to the area using low cost energy. Maintaining and installing street lights saves taxpayers money as well as making the community safe and attractive after dark.