The Electric Department was established in 1896 to provide electricity to the Village of Portland. Its function is to provide low cost electricity to Portland and Portland Township safely and reliably. It operates and maintains a Diesel Generator Plant, Hydro Plant, sub-stations and overhead / underground power lines, plus all trucks and equipment to accomplish this. It helps attract residential homes / business / industry to the area using low cost energy. Maintaining and installing street lights saves taxpayers money as well as making the community safe and attractive after dark.